Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

 
Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!



In Memory...




Board index » GoArmyParents.com » AIT (Advanced Individual Training)




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 12:55 pm 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:07 pm
Posts: 475
Location: Austin TX
That would be great. Me and an 18 month old boy alone on an airplane.... Scary thought. I will be asking him for sure.
Thanks! :)

_________________
* Proud wife to a handsome 68W *


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: New MOS
 Post Posted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:06 pm 
Offline
Reception
Reception
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:50 pm
Posts: 71
Location: Livingston, TX
John,
We went to graduation at Ft. Jackson and all went well. We took Josh to Ft. Gordon, GA. Now he's been told he can't have 25Q MOS. I talked to a recruiter in chat, they said the only reason would be because he didn't pass his security clearance, which is what he mentioned to his fiancee. He will have to pick another MOS. Can he actually choose one now from a list that don't need clearance? Or will they choose? I can't imagine what caused this, but was told it takes 3-5 months for clearance checks, so this was an ongoing investigation since recruitment. He's so torn up! What can I do to help?

_________________
Sally, Proud Momma of
PV2 Josh, now in Iraq 92Y
PV2 Kyle, now in GA 25W
And a proud Soldiers Angel!
"May no soldier go unloved"
"Communications? No problem, I come from a long line of talkers!" :smt081


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: New MOS
 Post Posted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:27 am 
Offline
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 12, 2006 11:42 am
Posts: 18942
Location: Kansas City MO
ZimmsMomma wrote:
He will have to pick another MOS. Can he actually choose one now from a list that don't need clearance? Or will they choose?


Not sure how the Army does it when a Soldier hasn't even made to AIT yet, but when a Soldier is in AIT and cannot complete the school, the Army let's them pick 3-5 MOS's from a list and then the Army chooses the actual one that the Soldier will transfer to.


Quote:
I can't imagine what caused this, but was told it takes 3-5 months for clearance checks, so this was an ongoing investigation since recruitment.


Attending AIT for 25Q does NOT require a clearance (but awarding of the MOS does require a secret clearance), so something must have come up in the investigation to keep it from going any further, thus making your son go into an MOS without a security clearance.

_________________
"Your Soldiers are actually safer with their heavily armed buddies in a warzone than they are riding around Main Street USA on a Saturday night with their friends back at home!" - Army Medic Dad
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John (aka AMD) - U.S. Army Security Agency, 12th Special Forces (ABN), 308th PSYOP (Tactical), PSYOP Regimental Assn Member, VFW Lifetime Member, Certified BBQ Judge

Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:14 pm 
Alex's MOS is 25U - Signal Support System Specialist. I just found out from him that there were several kids in his BCT platoon which have the exact same MOS as him and got $26,000 in enlistment bonus. Alex only got $4,000. When he asked why he didn't get $26,000 he was told that's the way it goes or it is up to the recruiter. So not fair! Does anyone have any info regarding whether there is a range of bonuses under a specific MOS or is it a set fee?


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:50 pm 
Offline
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm
Posts: 4343
Location: Iowa
I think some of it depends on timing of when they sign. At the time my son signed, we were hearing of big bonuses, but his MOS did not have a big one attached to it. During the time between signing and leaving, the Quick Ship Bonus came up and because he was DEP, he qualified for one of those. Now, if he would have signed at a different time, the bonus may or may not have been larger. AJ could have waited to see if it would have gone up, but he felt that the guarantee of his MOS was more important than a larger bonus.

_________________
Jane,
Wife of David, former CH (1LT) Army Guard
Proud Mom of SGT Andrew, Ft. Riley, Iraq (Active Duty 2007 - 2011), Indiana National Guard (2011 - ??)
also, Daniel and Michelle & Ben, MSgt. USAF Guard

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:30 pm 
Offline
AIT
AIT
User avatar

Joined: Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:48 pm
Posts: 238
Location: Virginia
Amber is 25U as well, but she claimed she didn't get any bonuses of any kind, even if she is in the Guard. So yeah, who knows? It might depend on how much the person fights for it in their contract before they sign.

_________________
Brian

Ex-Boyfriend of PFC Amber
BCT: 3-13th Fort Jackson - Graduated Oct 12, 2007.

AIT: Fort Gordon: Graduates sometime April 2008.

From there, who knows. Good luck anyway.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:01 pm 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 4:04 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Florida
the only bonus Jake gets is for the people that he brought in to sign up and his MOS does not have a bonus.

_________________
Michelle
Extremaly Proud Mom
of PFC Jake
Amber, Cody Shyann, & Harley


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 4:55 pm 
IntellMom wrote:
I think some of it depends on timing of when they sign. At the time my son signed, we were hearing of big bonuses, but his MOS did not have a big one attached to it. During the time between signing and leaving, the Quick Ship Bonus came up and because he was DEP, he qualified for one of those. Now, if he would have signed at a different time, the bonus may or may not have been larger. AJ could have waited to see if it would have gone up, but he felt that the guarantee of his MOS was more important than a larger bonus.


Alex told me that MOS doesn't matter in time of war. That it doesn't matter if you are a cook or a computer specialist, everyone has one MOS and that is Infantry. They can use the excuse that they don't need anyone for that particular MOS and automatically assign you to infantry.


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 5:26 pm 
Offline
Super Moderator
Super Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 10:07 pm
Posts: 4343
Location: Iowa
Helen,
I am not real sure what all you are tyring to say in this thread. You said that Alex was upset as to the fact that others with his MOS got large bonuses and wondered why. Then you say there is only one MOS. Your posts are confusing to me here.

When my son signed the papers in April, he had a guaranteed position for AIT for his MOS. This did not change between April and August when he left. Yea, all members of the Army may be called upon to go as Infantry. Yet, they do train for the different MOS's and place them in that position upon finishing AIT. What job they perform when and if deployed may change, but that does not negate the AIT training.

_________________
Jane,
Wife of David, former CH (1LT) Army Guard
Proud Mom of SGT Andrew, Ft. Riley, Iraq (Active Duty 2007 - 2011), Indiana National Guard (2011 - ??)
also, Daniel and Michelle & Ben, MSgt. USAF Guard

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:30 pm 
IntellMom wrote:
Helen,
I am not real sure what all you are tyring to say in this thread. You said that Alex was upset as to the fact that others with his MOS got large bonuses and wondered why. Then you say there is only one MOS. Your posts are confusing to me here.

When my son signed the papers in April, he had a guaranteed position for AIT for his MOS. This did not change between April and August when he left. Yea, all members of the Army may be called upon to go as Infantry. Yet, they do train for the different MOS's and place them in that position upon finishing AIT. What job they perform when and if deployed may change, but that does not negate the AIT training.


All i know is they will go through the AIT training..but if the commanders say there is no need for their MOS, they will be infantry...sorry to confuse you!


Top 
  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:40 pm 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 4:04 pm
Posts: 1049
Location: Florida
Alex's Mom wrote:
IntellMom wrote:
I think some of it depends on timing of when they sign. At the time my son signed, we were hearing of big bonuses, but his MOS did not have a big one attached to it. During the time between signing and leaving, the Quick Ship Bonus came up and because he was DEP, he qualified for one of those. Now, if he would have signed at a different time, the bonus may or may not have been larger. AJ could have waited to see if it would have gone up, but he felt that the guarantee of his MOS was more important than a larger bonus.


Alex told me that MOS doesn't matter in time of war. That it doesn't matter if you are a cook or a computer specialist, everyone has one MOS and that is Infantry. They can use the excuse that they don't need anyone for that particular MOS and automatically assign you to infantry.

What I think this boils down to is for example my sons MOS is 97E (human intelgance collector-interagtor) so no matter if it is war time or not he is highly deployable, but all of them are Soliders first and will do be used where needed, my friends son is a mechanic his first time over he drove Genrals and such around this time he signed up to be a quick response which means his team goes in first if a IED goes off and clears the area. Has nothing to do with fixing trucks but that is what he does sense he is a Solider first. Now if they can not make it thru their AIT for any reason they can chose another MOS and if that one does not work the Army will pick one for you. At the end of the day you do what your commanding officer orders you to do.

_________________
Michelle
Extremaly Proud Mom
of PFC Jake
Amber, Cody Shyann, & Harley


Top 
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:11 pm 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2007 12:03 am
Posts: 1188
Location: Montana
In Nate's papers he had to select a MOS and a backup MOS which was infantry so if something happened that he would not qualify for 19K, he would be infantry, I believe that was his choice and not mandatory. Korie did not list a backup on his papers and there was some question as to his color vision so I wondered what would happen since he did not pick up a second mos on his papers, but he passed the vision test so no worries yet.

_________________
Cindy R

Mom of 1st LT Nate (Air Assault Graduate 8/21/09) (Enlistment Jan 2007)
Mom of Amanda (3rd Grade Teacher in AZ) DIL 2nd LT Stephanie (Airborne Graduate)


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:02 pm 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am
Posts: 778
Location: North East Texas
spacefreak wrote:
Amber is 25U as well, but she claimed she didn't get any bonuses of any kind, even if she is in the Guard. So yeah, who knows? It might depend on how much the person fights for it in their contract before they sign.


But, space, as you said in chat the other night... something about previous service... which sometimes does make a difference.

When Chris & Tabby enlisted in the TXNG, they both signed contract saying they get 20k... recruiter, at that time, said that was for almost all NG. The NG website reflected the same info.

Today I notice the bonus says something to the effect that it COULD be between 10k-20k

Guess they got a lot to sign up during the 20k months, now they can cut back on some who may be enlisting now

So I guess originally enlisting is similar to re-upping.... Most Soldiers will sit back, even if they know they want to re-up, they sit back and wait to see if a good bonus is offered


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Bonus retroactive?
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:46 pm 
Offline
Recruit
Recruit

Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:47 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Fremont, Ca.
My son joined delayed entry in January 07.
He went active June 07. He is 11B, infantry.
Is he elligable for the bonus?
Thanks.

_________________
Dad of soldier in C Co., 1-19


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:19 am 
Offline
NCO super poster
NCO super poster
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:33 am
Posts: 778
Location: North East Texas
Maybe someone else will know, but not I

Does your son know/remember?
He should have a copy of the paperwork concerning that as well as it should be listed on his AKO site I think is where I seen the list of files/documents. When I looked at Chris' it showed tons of paperwork that had been filled out, gathered, filed, etc and if I'm not mistaken one of them was concerning the bonus.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Board index » GoArmyParents.com » AIT (Advanced Individual Training)


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  


Additional Options