Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Intelligence

Post subject: AIT @ Fort Huachuca, AZ
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 3:52 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

My son is currently in Basic and after Christmas exodus will be reporting for AIT at Fort Huachuca, AZ....MOS is 35M. All this Army life and lingo are new to me. We have been told various bits of info, and are not sure what is correct regarding his training there. We live in California and are trying to arrange his trip back to AZ after Christmas. As I understand it, his training will be about 22 weeks, and we've been told he can have his car there, since it's so long. Can anyone verify that for me?....and would it be advantageous to have a car there, or not? Also, what kinds of things are they allowed to have at AIT, as opposed to BCT? I was told they could have portable DVD players, cell phones, etc? Is that correct? Also told they need to supply their own rooms, much like a college student setting up their dorm room...bring their own sheets, blankets, etc. Is that correct? Maybe there's some place I can get all this info....any help and info would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: AIT @ Fort Huachuca, AZ
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:27 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hi Lana,

Welcome to Go Army Parents (aka GAP).

I can help with most of your questions. Some parents who have/had Soldiers at Fort Huachuca should be along soon to add to or correct what I post.

The training for 35M is currently listed as 18 weeks, 3 days. Be aware though, that the next class start date is February 17. That means your son will be in Reception for 6 weeks (unless they have added a class that I can't find).

According to the official Army training website, Soldiers attending school there are NOT allowed to have personal vehicles (can someone verify that for me?).

AIT is a little different than BCT. They are allowed to have cell phones, electronics, laptops, civvies, etc. While they may not have access to their personal items on Day 1, they can take them and they will be stored until they are allowed the privilege.

Quote:
Also told they need to supply their own rooms, much like a college student setting up their dorm room...bring their own sheets, blankets, etc. Is that correct?

They do not have to supply their own rooms in BCT or AIT. That will happen once they get to their first duty station.

Quote:
Maybe there's some place I can get all this info

There is a place - right here on GAP (Go Army Parents).

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 5:13 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Welcome to the MI forum Lana.

John has pretty much answered your questions. They can take what they want as far as personal articles and many will take their cell phones and a laptop. Maybe a game system. They will also want to take civilian clothes.

This AIT will have three phases: 4, 5 and 5+ It is phase 5 that they will be allowed to wear civvies off duty and I think at 5+ they can drive. 5+ comes much later. My son did not take too many items as he knew he would have to haul it all home and then on to his duty station.

If I remember correctly, AJ said it was $1 from Post to anywhere in Sierra Vista which is not bad at all. They will get to go into town when they phase up.

The MI MOS's do have studying to do and I know that for 35F, they could not take the materials to the barracks, so when they had to study in the evenings, they had to go back to the classrooms or somewhere like that.

Also, it does get chilly in the mountains so your son will want to take along clothes for colder weather. Now, temperature is all relative. I think it may have gotten into the 30's overnight last winter and for my northern boy, that is chilly, for others, that is cold.

As far as travel, that information will have to come from your son as to how that is going to work.

also, Daniel and Michelle & Ben, MSgt. USAF Guard

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 11:10 pm 
Basic
Basic

Hi Lana....
Your questions have been answered already...but I wanted to say Hello to you!
My son is at Ft. Huachuca now...35m. His graduation date is Feb. 5th.
They are in walking distance from 'Shopettes' - a small PX- and a chicken fast food place (cant recall the name off hand) Jake said when they go any distance several of them chip in on a cab...so fare will cost him 2 bucks. So you dont 'need' a car to get around. He does fine by foot and cab.
He's moved to several "BAYS" - first was a 60 man bay. Now he's in a 30 man bay. They have access to two microwaves and refrigerator. Also a day room with a TV...vcr/dvd player. I dont know if all the 35M soldiers are in large bays like his...maybe some are smaller. But he says its really not that bad.

Where is your son doing his basic training...?
Well....welcome aboard........ Take Care....Sara

DUTY STATION - Vilseck, Germany
June 2010- Deployed Afghanistan

Last edited by Jacobs mom on Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:18 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks to all, for your help! ...and thank you for the "Welcome". Your replies have actually posed a couple new questions for me. I was under the impression from our recruiter that a laptop would be provided for our son during his AIT. That is sounding like it may be incorrect info. He will need to bring his own?...and if so, are there any available through the PX at a significant savings or not? Also, John, you mentioned this "AIT" info is available here on this site. Could you tell me where...or just search through the AIT forum...? My last question is regarding the reception. What kinds of things do they do in AIT reception...especially for 3 weeks...any ideas?...just curious. Thanks, in advance for the help. You've all been great! Oh...and Sara, he's at Fort Leonard Wood for Basic....which is really cold for my west coast kid! :lol:

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:35 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

He will probably have a laptop to use for AIT classes, not for personal use. Those need to be left in the secured area.

When they are in MI, they use work items for work and have to leave them there. They use personal items for personal use and can not take them into work. This is things like laptops and cell phones. I am sure there are other items that are not to cross too. Even now at his duty station, he is not allowed to take his cell phone into the secured area. They either check it in when they go in the building or they leave it in their car or barracks.

If your son wants a laptop for personal use, he will need to get his own. That will be up to him. He can get them at the PX or places off Post.

You can search here for 35M and see what you find. If you can't find what you are looking for, ask.

I do not know for sure how reception works. My son arrived on a Friday night and did not start class for about 5 weeks. In theory, he was suppose to start classes on Monday after arriving. There were so many for his MOS that some had to wait for the next class. His group had PT and then sat around. Anytime volunteers were needed for anything, he would volunteer. This included being in an office shredding paper, setting up chairs for ceremonies and things like that.

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:00 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Lana wrote:
I was under the impression from our recruiter that a laptop would be provided for our son during his AIT.

Like Jane said above, that would be for classroom use only. Personal laptops are available for purchase at the PX, but they don't always beat the sales at places like Best Buy, etc. You do need to weigh in the fact that any purchases at the PX are tax free.

Quote:
Also, John, you mentioned this "AIT" info is available here on this site. Could you tell me where...or just search through the AIT forum...?
Yes, I meant that you can search places like the "AIT" or the "Military Intelligence" Forums for info, and you can post any questions there also. For obvious reasons, there is not much detailed info on the Internet concerning training at Fort Huachuca. If you do have any specific questions that you do not want to share with the public, you can always PM me (I have been trained in more than one MI MOS including the one your son will be training for). You can also PM Jane since her son went through AIT there.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 4:23 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Thanks Jane, and John for such prompt response! I guess I had one other question then I'll probably be satisfied for the time being. :oops: WE are required to get him to AZ...no help from the Army with the flight or transportation to AIT from coming off of exodus??? If we do fly him into Phoenix or Tucson, is the USO there able to get him to Fort Huachuca...? How does that work? Sorry, I just have no clue about any of this stuff, and I'd like to know as much as I can. Thanks again, Lana

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:05 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

I would have to ask my son for sure on getting from airport to Post. They do like them to fly to Tucson. There is also an Air Force base near there so they are use to the military traffic.

Here is the link for the military lounge at Tucson: http://www.tucsonairport.org/html/tia_t ... itary.html

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:13 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

I'm pretty sure that the Soldiers just need to report in to that Serviceman's Lounge at the Tucson airport to get the shuttle bus to Fort Huachuca.

Quote:
WE are required to get him to AZ...no help from the Army with the flight or transportation to AIT from coming off of exodus???

The Army only directly picks up the tab if a Soldier is on official travel from one Army post to another. If they come home for leave, exodus, and/or Hometown Recruiting, the Soldier picks up the tab. When your son reports to Fort Huachuca he will submit paperwork for travel reimbursement.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:25 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Jane, John, You two are AWESOME! Thanks a ton!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 3:29 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

My son is currently doing AIT at Fort Huachuca for 35M and loves it! He has a laptop, cell phone, MP3 player, xBox, etc. and can use them anytime he isn't in class, training, doing PT, or studying. As far as getting to Fort H from Tuscon, there is a shuttle and the cost depends on how many are riding. My son has already made his reservation for the transport when he gets back on January 4th. If you have any questions about Fort H, you can PM me and I'll do my best to answer :) My son has been there since the end of August and graduates February 5th.

(Fort Sill BCT grad 8/29/08 - Fort Huachuca AIT grad 2/6/09);
Jacob (UMass-Amherst; Alpha Delta Phi);

Katie (1st grade); & Mackenzie (preschool)!
Boston Area

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:56 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

HI Lana, and Welcome to GAP! My son did his basic at FLW, but he did both basic and AIT at the same time (OSUT). He went through in the summertime, with record heat, but, being from California, too, he did fine. He is stationed out of Germany, so he had to get used to the snow and cold too.....your son will adjust.
This site is good for answering any and all questions. It is also good to come to just to vent.
I want to thank your son for serving, and thank you for raising a son who is willing to serve his country. Looking forward to hearing more about him.

Calvin (10) and Jacob (8)

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Intelligence