Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Police

Post subject: Re: New Ft. Leonard Wood Graduation Web Site for OSUT
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:02 pm 
AIT
AIT

OSUT @ FLW for MP's is 19 weeks. My son left at the beginning on July and will graduate the day before Thanksgiving. I asked the recruiter about OSUT after reading information on it and he said he has never heard of there not being a graduation right after basic. So, I believed him...and he was WRONG! Why do these recruiters not know?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:54 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

javamom wrote:
I am so glad I found this site.. My daughter is in OSUT @ Ft. Leon Wd. I am very new to this so I am not quite sure what to expect. Before she left the recruiter was telling us she would most likely have a graduation that we could attend in about 9 weeks. Once she got to BCT the were telling her that she would probably have a 5 minute informal ceremony (no family allowed) and then off to AIT. Is this correct??

Yes, unless they have changed things in the last, oh, month or so. OSUT is One Station Unit Training where BCT and AIT are combined. They have a small ceremony that signifies that they have passed between BCT and AIT. They stay in the same barracks and have the same DS's and life goes on pretty much as it did before finishing the Basic portion.

Graduation is held at the end off OSUT and that is when families get to go. It seems like a long time now, but you will get through it and when you are finished, you are going to look back and think that it wasn't too bad.

also, Daniel and Michelle & Ben, MSgt. USAF Guard

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:57 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Aaronsmom wrote:
OSUT @ FLW for MP's is 19 weeks. My son left at the beginning on July and will graduate the day before Thanksgiving. I asked the recruiter about OSUT after reading information on it and he said he has never heard of there not being a graduation right after basic. So, I believed him...and he was WRONG! Why do these recruiters not know?

While it is surprising that a recruiter does not know that there is no graduation after the basic portion of OSUT, it is hard for them to know everything. It could be he was fairly new to the recruiting job and did not know.

There is so much recruiters need to know and it is very hard for them to know everything or to remember it all. Instead of being hard on him, let him know that the information he gave you was not correct and this is how it is for the MP's so that he does not repeat the mistake. Take him cookies or something while you are at it.

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 8:52 pm 
AIT
AIT

I agree, there is noway that recruiters can know everything. But, this was one of several pieces of misinformation he gave us. My son was in the future soldiers program all the way through his senior year in high school, so we had lots of contact with the recruiter. It was a very frustrating year and made us concerned about his future in the Army, concerned that this . All of those concerns have been erased now and we are 100% thrilled with with how things have been handled since he left for BCT.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:06 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Glad to hear that things are now going well for Aaron.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:35 pm 
Reception
Reception

javamom wrote:
I am so glad I found this site.. My daughter is in OSUT @ Ft. Leon Wd. I am very new to this so I am not quite sure what to expect. Before she left the recruiter was telling us she would most likely have a graduation that we could attend in about 9 weeks. Once she got to BCT the were telling her that she would probably have a 5 minute informal ceremony (no family allowed) and then off to AIT. Is this correct??

Thats unfortunately true. No BCT graduation. My daughter called today to say they graduated a week early, her platoon was due to graduate on Oct 2. She got a 3 hour pass and spent it on the phone with us. Our recruiter wasn't sure there would be two graduations because the AIT is at the same place.

What Company/platoon is your daughter in? MOS? Mine is in B Company 795th MPBN/1St platoon.

Kathie

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 9:20 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Hi Kathie

That is wonderful!! And graduating a week early too.. Way to go!!!

I bet you are really proud!!

Kris is in B Company, 796th, MPBN, 3rd Platoon.

I got a call from her last week... It is depressing!! All she wants to do is to come home, sleep in her own bed, and eat real food. I keep telling myself that this is all normal and that she needs lots of support and encouragement!!

How did your daughter do when she first started BCT? I am beginning to think that Kris thought it was a bit like summer camp, but maybe a little bit harder.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:33 pm 
Basic
Basic

Out son is in 2nd Platoon D company 795 MP BN. He started basic on 8/27/08..

Mystic

Korea right after Basic & AIT tour 1 year
Operation Iraq Freedon 2011

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:30 pm 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

javamom wrote:
Hi Kathie

Kris is in B Company, 796th, MPBN, 3rd Platoon.

Kris,

Good news. Your Soldier is in a great company. The commander and 1SG are friends of mine and I can vouch for them. Also, USMCWayne just posted a bunch of info on his daughters experience. I'd be willing to bet he would share information with you about that company. Below is a link to his posts. Put out a NET call to him and maybe he will respond.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9740

Post Posted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:45 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

My son Eric is in A company, 795th MP BN, 2nd PLT. Anyone have a solider who might be at FLW with him?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:41 am 
AIT
AIT

My son is at FLW, but in C Co, 796 MP BN, 1 PLT.
When did your son start OSUT?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:37 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

He started on Sept. 26th. At least our kids are on the same base, LOL!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:45 pm 
AIT
AIT

Aaron started on July 8th and graduates on Nov 26th. Time is just marching on by! He's doing AWESOME and has loved every minute of it. We are counting the days until we travel to MO and I get HUGS, HUGS, HUGS!

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 1:37 pm 
AIT
AIT

B company, 795th MP BN, 2nd PLT
We're lucky..4.5 hour drive to FLW we've gone down to visit 2 times so far. Going down again this weekend, hopefully he will have a pass, otherwise he will see him at church :D Can't wait for Dec. 11 and graduation. A word of advise that our recruiter gave us was to NOT stay at the hotels just off base if you like sleep. Quite the parties going on with families and girlfriends and alcohol etc... We have stayed at a very nice Holiday Inn Express in Rolla Mo. about 20-25 minutes from the base. It is non-smoking in the entire building and everything seems to be new and very clean. we're booked for this weekend and family day / grad.

And little sis Abby aka "the brat" according to her brothers

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:22 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

JonsPop&Mom wrote:
B company, 795th MP BN, 2nd PLT
A word of advise that our recruiter gave us was to NOT stay at the hotels just off base if you like sleep. Quite the parties going on with families and girlfriends and alcohol etc...

I've been up there twice, last year for BCT graduation and this year for AIT graduation. Both times I stayed at hotels just off the base, because in order for Jeff to be able to go back to the hotel with us during Family Day, we had to be in the immediate area. Rolla was too far away for the restrictions that his units placed. Last year we stayed at the Red Roof Inn and this year stayed at the new Super 8. Didn't have any problems with any parties going on. In fact the families of the soldiers were much more reserved and respectful of others than some of the other guests. But NO problems whatsoever and the convenience of the hotel to the base was a plus. And the new Super 8 was exceptional!!! Very nice place to stay.

Proud Mom of Jeff (SPC w/252nd MP Co) Safely HOME along with the 252nd MP Co BCT - Graduated 03 August 2007 at FLW (795th Alpha Co)
Graduated Hixson High May 2008!!
AIT - Graduated 23 Oct 2008 at FLW (796th Alpha Co)
31B

Proud Mom of Matt (older brother)
Majoring in English at Middle Tennessee State University!

Proud Aunt of Jim (1st LT, 1-185th Armored)

Also proud of my adopted sons : Jerry (21B) back in the States now and Taylor and Corey (31B) HOME!!

Also Proud of my late adopted son : Josh (31B) (NEVER FORGOTTEN)

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Police