Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Police

Post subject: New Ft. Leonard Wood Graduation Web Site for OSUT
 Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:14 am 
Basic
Basic

A couple weeks back, the official FLW page had a survey posted on it for anyone to fill out on what they wanted to see fixed, added, etc. I submitted a reply asking for better - more updated information for parents and families.

They now have a new link called Graduation Information at http://www.wood.army.mil/grad/. It has an updated graduation date list. This is not the same list you will find under each military school - for example, my son is with the MP's and their list has not been updated, but this new site has his Company listed.

Spc Timothy
511th MP Company
Camp Darby, Italy

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Ft. Leonard Wood Graduation Web Site
 Post Posted: Fri May 02, 2008 10:29 am 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

Thanks for the link Tammy. I made it a sticky so members will be able to find the link.

also, Daniel and Michelle & Ben, MSgt. USAF Guard

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat May 03, 2008 10:15 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Hi, :)
Thank you so much for the great information ! It gave me
all the the info I was looking for. Congratulations on your son's
graduation ! Let us know all about graduation, and how long will
the service lasts. Will they be able to leave base the day of graduation
or the next day? God Bless your son and his family, Celia

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 5:32 am 
Recruit
Recruit

celia wrote:
Let us know all about graduation, and how long will
the service lasts. Will they be able to leave base the day of graduation
or the next day? God Bless your son and his family, Celia

Celia:

My daughter graduated on Thursday, June 5th. My original plans were to stay one more night in our hotel and then drive back to St. Louis for a flight. She begged otherwise and said that she didn't want to be there one more day. So the answer to your question is "yes", you can leave the base that day.

Remembering details is not one of my strong suits, but if I recall correctly, the grad is about 8:00 or 8:30 A.M. and then we departed right after she got her orders. I think we were out of there by 11:00 A.M. If you can, I recommend you come for the family day on Wednesday. It was good to see all the Soldiers in their Class A's and then the the rest of the day is spent with your Soldier until evening formation. It was a great time for us to take Carli out for lunch at Ruby Tuesdays and a cup of coffee...something she hadn't had in about 19 weeks. Also, have our Soldier tell you where he/she will be sitting in the ceremonies that way you can position yourself well for good pictures/video.

The banquet didn't do that much for us. It was good to see the video and pictures but your Soldiern will probably have that already. By the time we hit both the food and dessert lines, most of the food was gone. But it is absolutely worth it if your Soldier wants to be there with you.

Also, tell your husband to start doing his pushups. On Family Day, they made all the dads "drop and do 10". I would have loved some advance notice on that one, cause I started feeling them after 5. My daughter later told me that with that I did better than a lot of the dads.

Final Note. Leave your hotel and arrive early for both days. Traffic getting through the gate can be a little slow. Also, tell your Soldier to not put his/her dogtags in the pants pocket of his Class A's. Apparently, they are made a little shallow and our daughter lost hers when went out to lunch. We didn't know it until that evening at formation and I spent till midnight that night backtracking our day, even driving on post again to the MP Station at the rear of the Post. Fortunately, someone had found them and turned them in to her DS. Without them...she couldn't leave Post until she got another pair, which would have thrown all of our plans in a tizzy.

Rusty

B CO 796th MP BN
Graduated OSUT at FLW (June 5)
31B at Ft. Hood (July 1)

Post Posted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 7:15 am 
Basic
Basic

thanks for the recap on your soldier's graduation day - that will really help me a lot since my soldier's graduation day is coming up soon - he is also in the 796th, but in Company D. I was wondering how the banquet was - since we live close, we have several family members coming for his graduation. Thanks again for the information.

Spc Timothy
511th MP Company
Camp Darby, Italy

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:05 am 
Recruit
Recruit

thocut wrote:
thanks for the recap on your soldier's graduation day - that will really help me a lot since my soldier's graduation day is coming up soon - he is also in the 796th, but in Company D. I was wondering how the banquet was - since we live close, we have several family members coming for his graduation. Thanks again for the information.

I am glad to help in any way that I can. I am a "newbie" but I do have a couple experiences under my, now. Family Day and Graduation Day both brought such joy to my wife and I. Our daughter told us about her one DS that she really liked that really helped her. I went up to shake his hand, have a conversation with him, and tell him thank you for watching over my daughter and preparing her for active duty. When I shook his hand, I became so emotional that I couldn't do anything but barely squeak out the word "thanks". I'm not sure what he thought but at that moment I was a Proud Army Parent.

Enjoy every moment of your Grad Day with Timothy.

Rusty

B CO 796th MP BN
31B at Ft. Hood (July 1)

Post Posted: Wed Jul 09, 2008 6:08 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

wazazi wa Carli thanks for the info we are going down next month for our son grad
i just told my husband about the push ups to give him warning he said thats about all he can do and said i guess i will not wear my navy hat down then lol

Graduated
D CO 787th MP BN
OSUT at FLW 8/21/08
Duty Station
23 MP CO COMBAT SPT Fort Drum N.Y.
DEPLOYED AUGUST 2009

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:10 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Tibbsmom wrote:
wazazi wa Carli thanks for the info we are going down next month for our son grad
i just told my husband about the push ups to give him warning he said thats about all he can do and said i guess i will not wear my navy hat down then lol

Lori,

You're welcome. I hope you have as much fun with your Soldier as I my wife and I did with ours. I thought that I was going to burst with pride. Or maybe it was the pushups...no, it was pride. Don't forget to find out in advance where he/she will be sitting so you can position yourself for good pics and an occasional glance at your Soldier.

B CO 796th MP BN
31B at Ft. Hood (July 1)

Post Posted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:08 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

this is great... i'm not telling my hubbie about the push ups LOL

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:59 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

Can anyone tell me if the FLW graduation site ever gets updated? My daughter is going to be graduating around Thanksgiving and I can't find any graduations after October.

Thanks.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:41 pm 
AIT
AIT

My son graduates the day before Thanksgiving and it's not on the site yet either. I guess we are just wishing it would get here SOON! :D

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:48 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

The only advice I can give you is to keep checking. This link provides graduation dates for MP, Engineer and Chemical.

"The American people will hate us until they need us." About the people's view of the military.

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:22 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

MY SON IS IN BASIC AT FLW HE CALLED TWICE AND HAD TWO DIFFERENT DATES FOR GRADUATION WHEN WILL WE HEAR A CORRRECT DATE? HIS AIT IS FOR INTELLIGENCE WILL HE BE IN A MP GRAD CLASS? WE HAVE LITTLE OR NO INFO ON THESE ITEMS HE IS MARRIED AND HIS WIFE IS PREGENT HE WILL PROBLE MISS THE BIRTH BUT IF WE KNEW THE CORRECT GRAD DATE SHE MIGHT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. THANK YOU

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Sep 16, 2008 12:11 pm 
Super Moderator
Super Moderator

oreo wrote:
MY SON IS IN BASIC AT FLW HE CALLED TWICE AND HAD TWO DIFFERENT DATES FOR GRADUATION WHEN WILL WE HEAR A CORRRECT DATE? HIS AIT IS FOR INTELLIGENCE WILL HE BE IN A MP GRAD CLASS? WE HAVE LITTLE OR NO INFO ON THESE ITEMS HE IS MARRIED AND HIS WIFE IS PREGENT HE WILL PROBLE MISS THE BIRTH BUT IF WE KNEW THE CORRECT GRAD DATE SHE MIGHT BE ABLE TO ATTEND. THANK YOU

Oreo,
Welcome to GAP, a great place to learn about the Army and to receive support from people who have been there.

First off, please do not type in all Caps, it makes it hard to read as well as is considered shouting or yelling on forums and chat rooms.

Second, the website linked in this thread is for the OSUT's at FLW which are MP, Combat Engineer and the CBRN School. Odds are that your son is not in one of these OSUT units and is in one of the 9 week BCT Units. You will find links for the other training units here: http://www.wood.army.mil/187INFBDE/BasicTraining.htm Once you have your Soldier's address, we can check and see which unit he is in and figure out his graduation date.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: New Ft. Leonard Wood Graduation Web Site for OSUT
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:48 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

I am so glad I found this site.. My daughter is in OSUT @ Ft. Leon Wd. I am very new to this so I am not quite sure what to expect. Before she left the recruiter was telling us she would most likely have a graduation that we could attend in about 9 weeks. Once she got to BCT the were telling her that she would probably have a 5 minute informal ceremony (no family allowed) and then off to AIT. Is this correct??

Profile E-mail  

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Military Police