Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Special Operations - ie. Rangers, Special Forces, SOAR, PSYOPS

Post subject: 18X Timeline
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:51 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Hi AMD -

I'd like to run my understanding of this process by you and make sure I know what I think I know. :wink:

Obviously:

1. OSUT at Ft Benning
2. Airborne at same - week or so of hold after OSUT (typically)?

Here's where I get a little fuzzy:

3. SFPC at Ft Bragg? how long is this course? assuming a high washout rate? is it a "light" version of SFAS?

4. SFAS at Ft Bragg this is now 3 weeks? and this is the course portrayed on the Discovery Channel show "Two Weeks in Hell"?

Typically some time in hold between SFPC and SFAS?

5. If my son makes it through all of the above and is chosen at the completion of SFAS, Q Course begins pretty much right away?

Once past Airborne, are there any graduation or ceremonial goings-on that families typically attend? I would think not because of the nature of the selection process; I'm getting bombarded with family questions and want to give accurate answers. With three weddings and two Family Days and OSUT graduations, budgets are rather overstrained for the next year or so.

As always, thanks for your help!

An aside that I think is kinda funny (YMMV) - son is driving cross country to go my nephew's Family Day at Benning. He'll fly back home and one week later we'll be at MEPS sending him back to Benning to begin his new adventures.

Shelley

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 18X Timeline
 Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:23 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

18X Timeline - here is the best explanation and breakdown > Click Here

PtonsMadre wrote:
Airborne at same - week or so of hold after OSUT (typically)?

No typical wait time - some go within a couple of days, or the next week, or.... All depends on how backed up Airborne school is when the Soldier arrives.

Quote:
SFPC at Ft Bragg? how long is this course? assuming a high washout rate? SFAS at Ft Bragg this is now 3 weeks?

See the timeline link I posted above.

Quote:
Typically some time in hold between SFPC and SFAS?

Again, it all depends - possibly some hold time, possibly none.

Quote:
If my son makes it through all of the above and is chosen at the completion of SFAS, Q Course begins pretty much right away?

Depends on how many are in line ahead of him.

Quote:
Once past Airborne, are there any graduation or ceremonial goings-on that families typically attend?

Special Forces Graduation - where they receive their Green Beret and Tab

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:45 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Awesome link, thanks.

Great reference to be able to understand info tossed out in conversation and not have to constantly ask for clarification.

Shelley

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:12 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

PtonsMadre wrote:
Awesome link, thanks.

Great reference to be able to understand info tossed out in conversation and not have to constantly ask for clarification.

I agree. I just found that link last night while looking for a more detailed answer to your timeline question.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:52 pm 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Here's a shocker - son was even appreciative. I sent it to he and his Dad and Preston hadn't seen the info in that format.

Score 1 for AMD and Mom!

Thanks again,

Shelley

Mom of Preston - OSUT Ft Benning - leaving 4/10
Aunt of Adam - OSUT Ft Benning - graduating 5/10

Profile E-mail  

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Special Operations - ie. Rangers, Special Forces, SOAR, PSYOPS