Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Medics

Post subject: First weekend of AIT onbase pass? Other weekends?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:17 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

I'm still trying to figure out if I am going to Greg's BCT graduation and if so, how.
Some people have mentioned the first 2 days (sat and sun) at AIT they have a pass (sometimes offbase) at other bases. Since I'm so close by I figured if that were the case I could get on base and see him. Has that been the experience at Ft Sam?
And what about the weekends following? Do they get onbase passes for the first 4 weeks? I was under the impression the first 4 weeks are on base only, then they start getting offbase passes.
Thanks a bunch! Having this info will help me with my decision for BCT graduation. :)

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:19 pm 
AIT
AIT

MIke had some on base passes in the first 4 weeks. Usually on Saturday. He just hit his fourth week and had an off base pass last Saturday. They didn't have to be back until 11 p.m. This was after they pass all their tests and PT and they phase up. Not everyone phased up. Some people that were suppose to phase up had a mix up with their paper work and didn't get to phase up meaning no off base pass.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 7:08 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

This is the way it worked for Dustin.

He graduated from BCT at Fort Jackson on Friday.
Saturday was spent traveling to Fort Sam. Sunday was spent in-processing (no time for passes that weekend). On Monday classes started.

They did not receive weekend passes (off-post but not overnight) until the end of Week 4 and only because they had passing grades both in the classroom and for PT.

My opinion - you are really taking a chance by passing on BCT graduation in the hopes of seeing him at Fort Sam that weekend or for anytime the first 4 weeks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:04 pm 
Basic
Basic

Shaundra, I agree with John about not chancing it. I promise all Greg is going to want to do is get his arms around you and baby as soon as he can.
I'd say do your best to get to his family day and graduation, you'll be glad you did.
Our daughter didn't really pass the PT Run time untill 5 days after she was to graduate, but her Captian allowed us to visit her all day on family day and gave her an off base pass on Friday where we mostly hung out at the motel after going out to lunch.
It was a bit of a let down that she didn't graduate that Friday, but all that mattered to us was we got to spend all our time with her and we had a fun time.

AIT FSH 68W-M6
VPDad, Cpl Anson
MCRD-PI Grad 9/2/05
MOS, MP,FLW
MP Camp Lejeune NC

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:13 am 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

Ok thanks a lot yall!! That's very helpful. I think I'll get my air scheduled this Monday. :)
Greg mentioned in his last letter that he wanted me to ask his recruiter if he could take leave between BCT and AIT (do hometown recruiting) I figured this to be really unlikely and told him so when he called after I got the letter.
Ron, that's so great you had time on family day and the next day even though she didn't graduate. That was SO nice of them to do for all of you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 11:59 pm 
Mentor / Soldier
Mentor / Soldier

If your soldier is in the 68W AIT, the best time to visit them is following the 4th week. At this time the soldiers phase (either to phase V limited, or to phase V).

The only differences is: Phase V limited can not leave post, drink alcohol, and wear civilian clothes. Phase V limited also have accountability formations at various times. This is also a perfect time for a much needed psychological breather, as they are in the midst of the NREMT.

One warning is that normally the Monday/Tuesday following their phasing they have their Mod 4/5 exam. These are the most difficult of the NREMT exams.

_____
Army Medic, Camp Casey, South Korea

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Medics