Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Medics

Post subject: Re: 68W Training Schedule Graphic
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:44 pm 
Basic
Basic

My son is leaving for Camp Bullis July 5th...so we are getting closer to graduation...YEAH! Could you please tell me if family usually attend the graduation...ie... Grandparents want to know!!!????

AIT 68W
VPMM of PFC Matt, Okinawa
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:01 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

proudmama wrote:
Could you please tell me if family usually attend the graduation...ie... Grandparents want to know!!!????

Sad to say, but most if not all AIT graduations are poorly attended by the Soldiers' family members. Don't know if it's because the AIT schools provide virtually zero info for that day or that the families have already heard that the ceremony in no way compares to the one for BCT. Here's a photographic comparison between BCT graduation at Fort Jackson and a 68W AIT graduation at Fort Sam (FYI - today's 68W ceremony will be held in the same venue as the one in the 4-year-old photo).

Note that I am in the standing-room-only section at the back of the NCO club - but there is family seating to the left of the Soldiers.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 13, 2010 5:13 pm 
Reception
Reception

proudmama wrote:
My son is leaving for Camp Bullis July 5th...so we are getting closer to graduation...YEAH! Could you please tell me if family usually attend the graduation...ie... Grandparents want to know!!!????

Yay! A lot of memories are made at Camp Bullis! Grandparents can go.....anyone the soldier wants to be there is welcome! Just remember that it's a smaller ceremony than bct and there's a good chance you'll be standing for it. However it is such a major accomplishment....so deserves to be recognized. Take into account if he's coming home after graduation, and how far you/grandparents need to travel when deciding who will go. I left it up to my son on how he wanted to handle it.

Derik - 11th grade

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:58 pm 
Basic
Basic

Great thanks for the info...unless the plans change he is supposed to come home with us! We would like to be there for this...it's such a awesome accomplishment!

AIT 68W
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:32 am 
Recruit
Recruit

We just attended our son's graduation at FSH on June 8 and the only difference from your picture and his graduation is they were in ACUs. The room was packed with family and graduates.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: 68 Whiskey Graduation Questions (and answers)
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:59 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Hope this didn't confuse anyone, but I moved the graduation questions out of the "Training Graphic" thread and into it's own, more appropriately titled thread.

Post subject: 68 W family dinner / graduation
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:48 am 
Basic
Basic

Has anyone recently attended a graduation for 68W? I am trying to find out more information about the family dinner on Thursday night and what time the graduation will be on the Friday?

I know my son is the best source for the info, however they are out at Camp Buliis for another week or so and I have family members asking me for info!!!LOL

Not long to go now...GO BRAVO CO...!HOOAH!

AIT 68W
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: 68 W family dinner / graduation
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Here is the info from Fort Sam's website for the only remaining 68W class graduating in July

Graduation date/time - July 27 - 0900 - Fort Sam Houston Club

There is no information regarding any family dinners - ie. they have been very hit or miss in the past. We didn't even find out if they were having one and what the time would be until we were enroute from Kansas City (so we missed it).

Your best bet would be to call your son's training company and ask. All the companies and their contact info can be found here >

http://www.cs.amedd.army.mil/32medbde/2 ... ultV1.aspx

And, so you get more replies, I am moving your post out of the BCT forum and into our Medic forum. And I am also merging your post into another one already created asking questions about 68W graduation (no use in re-inventing the wheel)

Post subject: Re: 68 Whiskey Graduation Questions (and answers)
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:59 pm 
Basic
Basic

Thank you for the link. I certainly will call as their graduation date was brought forward from the 27th to the 23rd but apparently they did not update their website!

AIT 68W
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:25 pm 
Basic
Basic

Just got back from graduation and the family dinner. They are now graduating in the Class A's which was so nice, first time in 5 years!
15 were not allowed to walk and participate in the ceremony because they were told they were dismissed on Wednesday for several hours to take care of any personal matters. Later at formation they were asked if any had their cell phones, the ones who were honest didn't walk. Just a heads up to the up and coming graduating class, unless they want to do laundry duty during graduation after 16 weeks of hard work and accomplishment!

AIT 68W
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:12 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

proudmama wrote:
Just got back from graduation and the family dinner. They are now graduating in the Class A's which was so nice, first time in 5 years!

Didn't know they had been graduating in ACU's. My son wore Class A's back in April of 2006. If they don't graduate in Class A's, there's almost no other reason for even issuing Class A's during their career (except for an occasional ball they get volunteered for).

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:04 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Thank you so much for that tip, my son is at Bullis now and graduation is on the 6th. I will have to find a way to make sure he gets the message about that ..he knows that I will be getting to Tx on Wednesday, so I suspect he might just do what they did, and he certainly would be honest if asked.
I will be thrilled if they graduate in Class A's, I have never seen him in his!!

Iraq, 5/11-

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:36 am 
Basic
Basic

Bravo Co was the first to start wearing their Class A's, I think it suits the occasion....as it is very special. Our son also wore his to basic graduation at Fort Sill so we have had a double treat!
Good luck to your son and Charlie Co!

AIT 68W
MCRD San Diego, 08/09

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:02 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

Thank you, and congrats to your son, it is quite an accomplisment.

Iraq, 5/11-

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:05 pm 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

For those with a Soldier in upcomings graduations..
The Fort Sam Houston club is being shut down for renovations, so (at least for the Graduation on 8/6), the ceremony is being held off base. The letter I received let me know it will be held in downtown SA, there will be a family briefing the night before graduation at their barracks, and if the Soldier has family attending, they can take their bags with them, and they will be released right after the ceremony the next day...no waiting around the post for them to be released!Soldiers without family to pick up their bags after the family briefing will bus back to the post and pick up their bags and leave from there. I don't know if this will continue , or if they will find a place on post to hold the graduations until the club reopens, but hopefully your soldiers will give you plenty of notice if they are going to continue to be off base, I wish I had found out earlier as there are a couple of hotels downtown that I would have booked at..hopefully this info will help....

Iraq, 5/11-

Last edited by Robsmom8 on Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Board index » Specific MOS groups » Medics