Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » GoArmyParents.com » Ask Our Administrators & Staff

Forum rules

You are currently in our "Ask Our Administrators & Staff" Forum.

# Post here to get answers from our Site Administrators, Moderators, and Mentors.

# Regular members - do NOT reply to questions posted in this forum.

# All replies posted by regular members in this forum will be deleted, unless you started the thread in the first place (though exceptions can be made when another member posts a similar question).

Post subject: Sniper School???
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 3:21 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

My son just called from Germany to let me know he may come back to the states for 6 mths for Sniper training. I thought 31B can't be a sniper. Does he mean SRT?
All he said was that he was asked about his Rifle Qualification score prior to leaving Korea and the SGT asked him if he was interested. He did mention something about an orientation in Germany. He has scored 40/40 in all testing other than the one in BCT.

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thank You.

Proud Mom of Spc. Steven, 31B, 20 yrs old-Camp Walker-South Korea 03/09/08-03/09/09
Hohenfels, Germany, 4/1/2009-current
Proud Mom of Pvt. Michael, 18 yrs old, Fort Sill, 9/09/09-BCT Fort Sill, 12/18/2009- Fort Benning, Airborne, 01/02/2010-AIT, Fort Lee, VA, 05/10/2010-Fort Benning, GA
Proud Mom of Sarah-13 yrs old-Honor Roll Student

Post subject: Re: Sniper School???
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:49 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Don't know where the "6 months" is coming from. Army Sniper School at Fort Benning is 5 weeks long. Also, the Army doesn't classify 31B as a "combat" MOS, hence a 31B would not meet the first prerequisite. Here are the class prerequisites for sniper school -

Quote:
-Students must be of Combat Arms MOS in the rank of PFC and above
-Students must be on active duty, in the Reserve Component, or National Guard.
-Must have a good performance record with no history of alcohol or drug abuse.
-Must be a volunteer and be recommended by their Commander.
-Must be in excellent physical condition; able to obtain a 70 percent or better in each event of the APFT for their age group.
-Must have corrected vision to 20/20.
-Must have a GT score of 100 or higher; non-waiverable.
-Must not have a record of disciplinary action.
-Must qualify expert with the M16A2 Rifle (M4 Carbine) within six (6) months of course attendance.
-Must pass psychological evaluaton (MMPI/CPI) conducted under the direction of a qualified Psychologist.
-Must have 1 year retainability from course end date, non-waiverable.

He could mean SRT, but that still doesn't take 6 months. The SRT1 course is two weeks long. The SRT2 course that follows is one week long - for a total of three weeks.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:36 am 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

I am not sure he knows what he is talking about. He said something about an orientation that he would have to pass in Germany to come to the states for sniper School. maybe he meant 6 wks. I am not sure. I didn't ask any questions because I was so excited when he mentioned the states and he said it wasn't a sure thing.

I wonder why he would have an orientation and why it would be pass or fail? I am waiting for my next phone call. He hasn't even been in Germany a month. He has so much to tell me when he calls.

By the way John, he loves German beer ;)

Proud Mom of Spc. Steven, 31B, 20 yrs old-Camp Walker-South Korea 03/09/08-03/09/09
Hohenfels, Germany, 4/1/2009-current
Proud Mom of Pvt. Michael, 18 yrs old, Fort Sill, 9/09/09-BCT Fort Sill, 12/18/2009- Fort Benning, Airborne, 01/02/2010-AIT, Fort Lee, VA, 05/10/2010-Fort Benning, GA
Proud Mom of Sarah-13 yrs old-Honor Roll Student

Post Posted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:08 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Proud Mom to Steven wrote:
By the way John, he loves German beer ;)

That makes him a member of an "elite" club now.

Board index » GoArmyParents.com » Ask Our Administrators & Staff