Login    Forum    Register    Search    FAQ

Welcome to GoArmyParents.com Community Area!

Here you will find support for family/friends of those sons and daughters of the United States Armed Forces. Whether your loved one is simply considering joining the ranks, a part of ROTC, is heading off to basic, navigating the enlisted life, or deployed overseas -- this is the support for YOU!

Jump in with your questions; share your concerns, your vents, and your joys. Trust that you'll connect with other parents that truly understand.

Want to talk live? Don't miss our weekly chat event on Saturdays at 10:00 p.m Eastern / 7:00 p.m. Pacific. Additional chat times may also be posted on our forums or just drop in and see if others are chatting. Click here to chat now!

Have feedback, questions, or concerns? Contact us today!

In Memory...

Board index » GoArmyParents.com » News and Announcements

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next
 Post subject: Re: Christmas EXODUS - please post all questions here
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am 
Basic
Basic

Our son is stationed in Ft Bliss...he has well over 30 days of leaved saved. However we found out last week they are giving them 2 dates for Christmas exodus...
Either 17-26 (they would have to be back at the base on the 25) or the 26-3 and would have to be back on base the 2. So we start looking at tickets...reasonable...however they are not even getting 10 days. Son says its the company....then we hear from him and said all dates on hold till December 8 nothing solid dont book anything.

So can someone elighten me on how this all works....is this some prestaging before they get deployed again?

Thanks
MP mom

Korea right after Basic & AIT tour 1 year
Operation Iraq Freedon 2011

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:48 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

91FArmydad wrote:
Thanks, I talked to my son last night and he is graduating on the 27th.

I checked the 91F class dates on the Army's official training site and looked for everything close to that 27 Nov date, and found this -

A Phase 1 class ending on 28 Nov, followed by a Phase 2 class beginning on 29 Nov. Then I found two Phase 2 classes, ending on the 21st and 29th of Nov respectively.

So it would probably be better to call his unit at Fort Lee and ask them. Here are some phone numbers >

All phone numbers begin with area code 804 followed by prefix 734

First, I am assuming your son is in Bravo company - 804-734-5993 or 8871

If he is not in Bravo, then

Alpha company - 5940 or 5942
Charlie company - 5963 or 5967
Echo company - 5993 or 8871
832nd Ordnance BN - 8764 or 8766

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:11 am 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

MYSTICHARLEY wrote:
Our son is stationed in Ft Bliss...he has well over 30 days of leaved saved. However we found out last week they are giving them 2 dates for Christmas exodus...

First a clarification. "Exodus" is the name for when Army training units/posts totally shut down for the Christmas holiday. Once a Soldier is assigned to a permanent unit, like your son, leave during the holiday (or at any other time) is up to the individual unit (and the procedure is completely different than what is usually posted here). And this is called normal leave, or block leave, if most of the unit takes leave at the same time (ie. at Christmas, prior to a deployment, after returning from a deployment, etc.)

Prestaging prior to deployment? Sorry, but only the command of that unit could answer that. Has your son said anything about a possible deployment down the road? That could be a determining factor in putting a hold on holiday leave, when many would end up taking block leave closer to a departure date. But I am only guessing since I do not know this particular unit's deployment status. Or it could be that schedules are being adjusted in the battalion/brigade due to who is on any "alert" list.

And being on alert is no cause for alarm. My son's unit in Colorado went on alert every three to four months. And if that alert duty fell during the holidays, they would either take their block leave prior to or after it was scheduled.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 1:03 pm 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

AMD,

Thanks so much, again you come through!! He is Bravo Co, and originally scheduled to end the 29th, but it was adjusted to the 27th. he said something about the 29th, Army terms for when everyone is leaving for thier base assignments.

Not too many Airborne is his AIT, I think he's the only in his Co?

He said his Platton SGT told him to not buy a plane ticket yet because they are not sure if he'll be at Lee or Benning. We're hopeful he gets to come home.

Thanks again you are a big help!! I'll keep you posted.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 5:44 pm 
Basic
Basic

guess i am confused thats why he didnt take any leave througout the year. He returned last year from Iraq at Christmas and we saw him for 2 weeks in January...guess i miss my kids.

Just thought it was odd they save their time but then cant take it...and then say the dates are solid until 12/8 tickets will be outrageous by then and since they have to report back the day before their leave ends there no time to drive home.

He hasnt mentioned anything about another deployment...its a gut feeling i have thats all.

thanks
MP Mom

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Tue Nov 13, 2012 6:34 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

MYSTICHARLEY wrote:
Just thought it was odd they save their time but then cant take it...

They can take their leave, but like every job I know of, one has to request when they take vacation/leave. When I worked with the city, I didn't always get to take my guaranteed vacation at the exact time I wanted. There were dozens of other employees that the boss had to consider, not just me.

And I still don't think this has anything to do with a possible deployment. I think it has much more to do with that CO not being able to send 100% of his troops home from Dec 15 to 30.

Bottom line - Soldiers are guaranteed 30 days leave per year. But there is no guarantee that they can take said leave on the exact dates they want.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:55 pm 
Basic
Basic

Thank you AMD.....just confused about it all.

I am waiting on his dates so i can put in my dates...

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:51 am 
Newly Enlisted
Newly Enlisted

My son left for OSUT at Ft. Benning about a week ago. I got a 17 sec. call that he had arrived. Before he got there he indicated he would be coming home for Christmas for about 10 days. I don't have a mailing address for him, and have no idea when I will get a call from him. Since he is on the east coast and I am on the west coast the chance of me actually receiving a random call from him, are very slim since I can't have my phone on at work. I can't make last minute adjustments to get to an airport 100+ miles away without advance warning. Is there any way to find out when he would get his Christmas leave? He would probably like to see his siblings, but they can't afford last minute air fare home. Is it realistic that he would get time off during Basic Training to travel across the country for a holiday? How does this affect his graduation date if he comes home for Christmas or are those dates tentative also?

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:54 pm 
Reception
Reception

swimom wrote:
Is it realistic that he would get time off during Basic Training to travel across the country for a holiday? How does this affect his graduation date if he comes home for Christmas or are those dates tentative also?

My son also left for OSUT at Ft Benning last week (19D) and has not yet been assigned a unit/platoon (at least that I know of). However, I have been scouring Facebook and all of the CavScout units currently in OSUT at Ft Benning have a letter posted in the photo section listing the Christmas Exodus as Dec 19-Jan 4 with other details included about how they can purchase tickets or where to send itineraries, transportation to/from the airport etc. I am hoping that as soon as my son has been assigned, they too will post the information.

As for graduation, it is my understanding Christmas Exodus is figured into that date, but someone else can probably answer that better then me.

Proud Mom of Paul
Ft Benning OSUT Grad 04/13
Ft Carson 04/13-07/13
Camp Arifjan, Kuwait 07/13-11/13
Ft. Carson 11/13-

You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:19 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

swimom wrote:
the chance of me actually receiving a random call from him, are very slim since I can't have my phone on at work.

Don't know about your particular situation, but many parents here have been able to talk to their boss and explain the situation regarding phone calls and their son/daughter in Army training or on deployment. Most employers have then made an exception to their "no phone" rules. When my son was in the Army, my boss specifically told me that a phone call from my son always took priority over phone calls to the school that I worked at. It did help that he was also a graduate from the school.

Quote:
Is there any way to find out when he would get his Christmas leave?

You are either going to have to wait to hear from your son, like most of us do, or you can call his training unit once you find out which one he is assigned to.

Quote:
Is it realistic that he would get time off during Basic Training to travel across the country for a holiday?

Since the entire Army training system shuts down for Exodus, the vast majority of students do go home for the holidays, no matter if they only have to travel across one state or across the country. But a few students do stay back at training due to a variety of reasons, though this is not the best of situations. Remember, if any students stay behind, someone has to stay with them to supervise - meaning that some disgruntled staff members won't get to go home to family either.

Quote:
How does this affect his graduation date if he comes home for Christmas or are those dates tentative also?

All graduation dates are set in stone, with the lone exceptions of emergency or typo. For classes that include Exodus, the graduation date has already been set two weeks past the date it would be if the class was held during any other time of year.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:26 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

army1mama wrote:
However, I have been scouring Facebook and all of the CavScout units currently in OSUT at Ft Benning have a letter posted in the photo section listing the Christmas Exodus as Dec 19-Jan 4 with other details included about how they can purchase tickets or where to send itineraries, transportation to/from the airport etc.

But please wait to hear from your son's specific unit. Not only is nothing on Facebook "official", Exodus dates/times can and often do vary from unit to unit, even if we are only talking about 19D OSUT units. Why? Not all of them can pack into buses and get off post at the same time or report to the airport all at once. Each individual training unit's departure time could be up to a day earlier or later from the one down the road on the same post. ALWAYS wait to get the info from your Soldier and/or his unit.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:58 pm 
Reception
Reception

Army Medic Dad wrote:
But please wait to hear from your son's specific unit. Not only is nothing on Facebook "official", Exodus dates/times can and often do vary from unit to unit, even if we are only talking about 19D OSUT units.

Thanks AMD- I didn't mean to imply I was, or anyone else should, take what is posted on FB as official. The letter was picture of the official letter that was sent out to family members of those particular units, and was not a wall post.

Quote:
Each individual training unit's departure time could be up to a day earlier or later from the one down the road on the same post. ALWAYS wait to get the info from your Soldier and/or his unit.

I plan to wait to hear from my Soldier (and am hoping with all my might it will be soon) for the official word, and hope I didn't steer anyone else to do anything different :( It was only my intention to provide a "ballpark" on the dates. Sorry if there was any confusion or misinformation provided!

Proud Mom of Paul
Ft Benning OSUT Grad 04/13
Ft Carson 04/13-07/13
Camp Arifjan, Kuwait 07/13-11/13
Ft. Carson 11/13-

You have to accept whatever comes and the only important thing is that you meet it with courage and with the best that you have to give.
-Eleanor Roosevelt

Profile E-mail  

Post Posted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 4:25 pm 
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

army1mama wrote:
Thanks AMD- I didn't mean to imply I was, or anyone else should, take what is posted on FB as official.

And I hope you don't think I was singling you out. I just wanted to point out to everyone reading this thread to not go by what you read on Facebook when deciding to make flight reservations or travel plans. You should always wait to hear from your Soldier and/or his unit. And that goes for not only Exodus, but also Family Day, Graduation, deployments, etc.

Post subject: Leave during Basic Training
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:05 pm 
Recruit
Recruit

My son requested leave during recruitment and I believe it is in his contract that he is to get leave during Christmas. He left for BCT on November 6. I have been told by every experienced person that this is not standard practice and they can't believe he is granted it. What is the procuedure? He believes he is coming home on the 19th and said he needs a plane ticket, but we have no other information or understand how this works. What is the catch?? I just want to understand how his leave works and when to expect to see him realistically.

Thanks!

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Leave during Basic Training
 Post Posted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 2:46 pm 
NCO super poster
NCO super poster

Welcome to the GAP Family :smt004.

Look under this Link until one of the Moderators answer you. Your answer is probably in that forum.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=12267

Fort Drum-2010-2013
AIT- FT. Jackson-2010
BCT-FT. Benning-2009

Deployed Afghanistan-10/2011-10/2012

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 611 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 34, 35, 36, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41  Next

Board index » GoArmyParents.com » News and Announcements